-A A +A
Select color visibility that suits you Basic theme Dark theme Darker theme Text only

Help with heating

Disability Rights UK Factsheet F53

This factsheet is free for you to download. We are committed to providing free information on our website but we are a small charity and if you are able to make a donation to help cover costs of research and updating it would make a big difference.

UK heating Schemes

There are a number of government funded schemes across England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, which provide help with heating.

England Scotland and Wales

In England Scotland and Wales you can get help under the Green Deal, which you will have to repay later. Green Deal provides help for:

  • insulation - eg loft or cavity wall insulation
  • heating and hot water
  • draught-proofing
  • double glazing
  • generating your own energy - eg solar panels or wind turbines

You will first need an assessment to work out the most cost-effective improvements. This work will then be financed by a provider and carried out. You will be expected to pay for the work done through your future electricity bill.

For more information see www.greendealinitiative.co.uk/.


In Scotland the Energy Assistance Package aims to help maximise incomes, reduce fuel bills and improve energy efficiency in homes. If you are on a qualifying benefit and are over 60 or have children you may be able to get help.For more information call 0800 512 012 or go to www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Built-Environment/Housing/warmhomes/eap.

The Green Homes Cashback Scheme offers owner occupiers, private and social tenants and private sector landlords up to £1,200 towards energy efficiency measures that are recommended in the property’s Green Deal Advice Report.

Call 0800 512 012 or go to www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/Take-action/Find-a-grant/Green-Homes-Cashback-Scheme).

In Wales there is a Fuel Poverty Programme, called ‘Nest’. A Nest whole house assessment is available to people in Wales who are in receipt of a means tested benefit and living in the hardest-to-heat homes. For more information, call 0808 808 2244 or go to www.nestwales.org.uk.

Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland the Warm Homes scheme provides insulation and heating grants to owner occupiers and private tenants who are in receipt of a qualifying benefit. For enquiries and applications, ring 0800 988 0559 or go to the Warm Homes website at www.warm-homes.com/.

Northern Ireland also has a scheme to replace old, inefficient boilers (boiler scrappage scheme). Under the scheme you can get up to £1,000 towards the replacement of your boiler. For more information see www.nidirect.gov.uk/grant-to-replace-your-boiler.

Other help

If you live in England Scotland or Wales you can get £140 rebate on your electricity bill as part of the Warm Home Discount Scheme.

You may get this if you or your partner are on the guarantee element of pension credit pension and your energy supplier is participating in the scheme.

Your energy supplier can also choose to give you the £140 rebate even if you don’t receive guarantee credit if you are on certain benefits. For more information contact your local electricity supplier or go to www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme.

You may also be able to get cold weather and winter fuel payments. For information see our what you can claim factsheet.

If your supplier has signed up the Safety Net for Vulnerable Customers Scheme they are committed to never knowingly disconnect vulnerable customers. Where a customer has been disconnected and then is identified as vulnerable, the supplier will reconnect their customer as a priority. You are considered to be vulnerable if for reasons of age, health, disability or severe financial insecurity, you are unable to safeguard your personal welfare or the personal welfare of other members of your household. Find out more at http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/policy/disconnection.html

Where can I get more help or information?

This factsheet is a basic overview of help with heating available. You can find out more information about this and any other help you can receive in our Disability Rights Handbook. This and all our other publications are available from our shop at https://crm.disabilityrightsuk.org/. You can also place orders by contacting Disability Rights UK.

You can get help and information at your local advice centre, such as a Citizens Advice Bureau. You can get more information about where to get personal advice from our Factsheet F15 - Getting advice. All our factsheets are free to download on our website at www.disabilityrightsuk.org.

You can get advice on heating from the following:

Martin Inch
6 February 2015